Skip to main content

Abide in My Love

How’s your Lent going so far? Sometimes we can view Lent as that time of darkness or 40 days of agony until we can do or have the things we gave up and often a season to just get through or try to avoid. Sometimes the penances or challenges of giving up the things we enjoy or changing the ways we have become comfortable allow for a struggle and accept change in our hearts. 

I can remember times in my own life when I would begin grumbling as the beginning of Lent was approaching. My false idea of Lent was that Jesus did not want me to be happy or joyful for 40 days but rather I was to walk around moping with a sad almost mournful appearance. Well this is definitely false! This is not at all what Jesus wants us to do during this season of Lent. Yes, we do recognize our great need to turn away from our sinfulness and look at how we can grow in virtue and change our vices but there is HOPE! Even in this time of fasting from the things we enjoy, Jesus tells us “When you fast, do not look gloomy like the hypocrites… But when you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to others to be fasting, except to your Father who is hidden” Matthew 6:16,18.

Jesus has given us this time of Lent not to be sad or gloomy but to draw close and encounter the love of His Sacred Heart! Think of these next 40 days as a retreat. We put aside the material things that do not last so that Christ may increase and be at the center of our hearts! The things of this world can so easily distract and draw us away from the One who is waiting to lavish us with His love. Jesus gives us this time to go to a new and deeper depth in our hearts a place we have never gone before to ENCOUNTER Him. He wants us to be captured by His loving gaze. Encounter Him in a new way this Lent. Do not be afraid. He is full of gentleness, kindness, patience and mercy. Go deeper into this burning love of our Savior who has given everything to win us back and present us as beautiful and precious gifts to the Father, washed clean through the blood and water which poured from His Sacred Heart. What more could He give to us than Himself. He gives us everything and we can draw from this Sacred Heart all the graces which we need daily. Receive Him!

With this deep abiding love, Jesus calls to you, “Come and seek Me, abide in Me and My LOVE”. Lent can be a time of joy, joy of experiencing the Heart of Jesus, the joy of knowing we are loved by God. He desires deeply to fill us with His joy until it is overflowing out of us. So don’t forget to smile during this time of Lent and rejoice in the love of God! Allow His love to consume your Heart and do not be afraid to unite your heart with His Heart.

Heart of Jesus, full of goodness and love, have mercy on us. 
- Sister M. Isabella, FSGM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to our Family, Postulants!!!

Today, on the Feast of the Birth of Mary, our new postulants entered the postulancy of our American Province of the Sisters of St. Francis of the Martyr St. George! We thank God for the gift of these vocations. Pictured above - on their very first full day in the convent - are (from left) Ashley Vola, Samantha Goodson, Miranda Edgar, Jennifer Clark and Erin Leis. Welcome, Postulants! We Sisters are grateful that you have accepted Christ's invitation to belong totally to Him in our Franciscan community, and we support you wholeheartedly with our prayers and help! If you would like to send a word of welcome and encouragement to these new postulants, we will pass the greetings along to them. Just leave them as a "comment"!

Looking Back with Gratitude

“Christ is calling you; the Church needs you; the Pope believes in you and he expects great things of you!” My life would never be the same as the words of John Paul II coursed through my mind and beat with fervor in my heart. Me? Could he possibly mean me? Like many others, I felt Pope John Paul II was speaking directly to me as I sat behind him in the nose-bleed section of the stadium in Saint Louis. Throughout my high school years after this encounter, the idea of having a possible vocation to the religious life shocked and bewildered me, but at the same time brought me such peace. As each year came and went, my relationship with Jesus Christ and His Church grew with greater depth, understanding, and love. Through daily mass, Eucharistic Adoration, the Rosary, Scripture and God’s divine intervention through his priests and religious, I soon realized that, yes, the Pope did mean me. Christ was calling me and how could I say no? After one year of college, I soon came to the realizatio

Journey with Mary: Sacrificial Love of Spiritual Motherhood

                Recently, I found a reflection I had written during my first retreat as a postulant. The last conference that had been given was on Spiritual Motherhood. As I approached the 4 th Station where Jesus meets His Sorrowful Mother, this is what struck my heart:                 What is the sacrificial love of a mother? It is the self-sacrifice made to love her children. Mary’s self-sacrifice to be there with Christ, her Son, in His passion was the selfless love that united her with Him. Her heart was pierced with 7 swords in the agony of watching her beloved Son endure a cross that He did not deserve, but which He embraced for the love of the Father and mankind. Could she not have said to Jesus, “You don’t have to do this, there are other ways. Do you know how much pain You are causing me and those who love you?” She knew He could have chosen any other way to save us, but this was the Father’s will, and so in silent love Mary trusted. If the world is suffering, why do y